Scotch Whisky Award Shortlist: Sukhinder Singh
Next year will mark two decades since Sukhinder Singh co-founded The Whisky Exchange, an online portal where whisky fans could buy, sell or swap the listed bottles.
He had previously worked in an award-winning off-licence in west London owned by his parents – who became the first Asians in the UK to be granted a liquor license in 1971 – where he first developed his interest in single malts. Following his parents’ retirement, he founded The Whisky Exchange alongside his brother.
The company, which is now one of the country’s most impressive drinks companies, soon began selling more single malts than anyone else at the time, and within a decade was recognised as Whisky Magazine’s online whisky retailer of the year.
The portfolio grew over the years and, now housed at Elixir House, includes The Whisky Exchange alongside Speciality Drinks, Elixir Distillers and Scotchwhisky.com.
Among his many accomplishments, he lists celebrating ten years of The Whisky Show, creating Whisky.Auction, and opening The Whisky Exchange in Covent Garden, London, as three of his ‘milestone moments’. Singh’s next great vision is the building of a distillery on Islay, a goal he hopes to realise in 2019.
“It’s a great honour to be nominated for this award, even more so the second year running. I am humbled that my dedication to the Scotch whisky industry has been recognised by the IWSC,” said Singh.
“I have always held the belief that any business owner will succeed if they live and breathe what they love. Passion is a big driver behind any business and it’s certainly the big factor in the successes at Elixir House.”
The winner of the Outstanding Achievement in Scotch Whisky Award will be announced at the IWSC Awards Banquet on 14 November. Like the IWSC Facebook page to tune in to the livestream on 14 November, and find out who will receive this prestigious award.
Flavours of New Zealand 2019
Etc Venues County Hall Belvedere Rd London SE1 7PBAdd to Calendar
Wine Paris 2019
Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Halls 4 and 7.1 1 Place de la Porte de Versailles 75015 Paris - FranceAdd to Calendar
Wines of Portugal Grand Tasting 2019
Lindley Hall Everton Street London SW1P 2QWAdd to Calendar
Düsseldorf, GermanyAdd to Calendar
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines