Who we are
The International Wine & Spirit Compeitition (also known as The IWSC) is a professional Wine & Spirit competition of 50 years standing based in the UK. Under the umbrella of the IWSC there are two operating units:
- International Wine & Spirit Competition Limited (The), company number 00720550 (“The IWSC”)
- Club Oenologique Limited, company number 10639796 (“Club Oenologique”).
Both companies have their registered office at Building 17 Dunsfold Park, Stovolds Hill, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB.
- Entrants into the Competition (i.e.The International Wine & Spirit Competition)
- Entrants and participants in: Dinners, Tastings, Trade Fairs and Exhibitons under the name of The IWSC or Club Oenologique
- Partners, sponsors and supporters of The IWSC and Club Oenologique
- Press and journalists
- Club Oenologique magazine and club members, subscribers and advertisers
- Other individuals with whom we maintain business relationships or communications.
When do we collect personal data and what personal data do we collect?
You do not have to give us any personal information in order to use our websites. However, if you wish to register on this website, subscribe to a service, book a stand or visitor ticket to our events, request information or provide content for inclusion in our publications we may collect personal information as detailed below.
We may collect personal data about you as follows:
- If you register for an account with The IWSC or Club Oenologique, our visit any of our trade fair stands, events, tastings or dinners we will collect your contact details and the other information you provide to communicate with you in the future.
- If you fill in forms on our websites, we will collect your professional information (as defined below) and the other information you provide in the form.
- If you contact us by any other means (e.g. email or telephone), we may keep a record of that contact and the information you provide us at that time.
- If you ask to be added to our marketing database, we will collect your professional information (as defined below) and your preferences as to the types of marketing information you would like to receive from us.
“Professional information” includes, but is not limited to, name, address, job title, company name, phone number, email address, as well as questions answered on survey or registration forms, and your preferences as to the types of marketing you would like to receive from us.
Other information collected via our websites and Cookies
Links to other websites
How do we use your personal data?
- If you exhibit at, or visit, any of our exhibitions, we will use the information you provide to carry out our contractual obligations to you.
- If you visit our websites, we will use information about your visit to help us make our websites experience as user-friendly for as many visitors as possible on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- If you create an online account or enter the competition we will use the information you provide for the purpose of processing your entry and for ancillary administrative purposes on the basis that we have a legitimate interest in doing so. We may also send you information about IWSC events, Club Oenologique events and information about deadlines and other IWSC activities if you have consented to receiving this.
- If you create an account or sign up for a Club Oenologique membership we will use the information you provide for the purpose of processing your membership, providing you with the services of membership entry and for ancillary administrative purposes on the basis that we have a legitimate interest in doing so. We may also send you information about the Club Oenologique, Club Oenologique events and information about the IWSC if you have consented to receiving this.
- If you fill in forms on our websites, or contact us by any other means, we will use the information you provide to respond to your enquiry or contact on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- If you ask to be added to our marketing database, we will use the information you provide to send you information about our organisation and services in accordance with your stated preferences. We will do so on the basis that you have consented to us processing your personal data in this way. You can stop receiving marketing information from us at any time as these communications provide easy ways to unsubscribe or update your preferences.
Where do we store your personal data and how it is kept secure?
Some of the information you provide to us will be transmitted electronically, e.g. information provided via our websites or by email. We would remind you that information transmitted via the internet is not completely secure and although we will do our best to protect any information transmitted in this way, we cannot guarantee its complete security.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data being accidently lost, accessed or used in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers located in the United Kingdom. No information you provide to us is transferred to, or stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area except with your prior consent.
In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We may disclose your personal data to third parties as follows:
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share it in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example our auditors, our insurers and HMRC).
- With the other companies in our group for administrative and reporting purposes on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- With the suppliers we engage to produce exhibition materials and Optical Connections magazines on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- If you exhibit at our any of our exhibitions, we may pass your details to our stand builders and similar suppliers/contractors (or we may provide their details to you) on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- If you exhibit at, or attend, any of our exhibitions we may pass your details to our sponsors on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to do so as the goods/services they offer may be of interest to you.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
The table below sets out further details:
Circumstances in which personal data was provided
How long do we keep it?
When you enter the competition
When we enter into contracts with suppliers
When you contact us via our websites
When you contact us by any other means (e.g. email or telephone) which does not lead to a contractual relationship
When you sign up for a Club Oenologique membership
When you attend any of our events or dinners
When you are added to add to our marketing database
Until you ask to be removed or we refresh our database to suppress dormant entries (typically on an annual basis)
Your rights in relation to the personal data we hold
You have the right to:
Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data's accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
- Website: www.iwsc.net
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Building 17 Dunsfold Park, Stovolds Hill, Cranleigh, Surrey GU6 8TB
- Telephone: 0203 176 6460
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner about the way in which we collect and use your personal data: www.ico.org.uk/concerns or telephone 0303 123 1113.
IWSC Awards Banquet 2018
Guildhall, LondonAdd to Calendar
Flavours of New Zealand 2019
Etc Venues County Hall Belvedere Rd London SE1 7PBAdd to Calendar
Wine Paris 2019
Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Halls 4 and 7.1 1 Place de la Porte de Versailles 75015 Paris - FranceAdd to Calendar
Düsseldorf, GermanyAdd to Calendar
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines