Australia Day Tasting Gold Room to feature IWSC winning wines
20 gold medal winning IWSC wines will feature in the first ever Australia Day Tasting Gold Room, in the largest annual trade tasting of Australian wine outside the country itself.
The free pour Focus Room will present 60 gold medal winning wines from the IWSC and other wine competitions. The IWSC wines presented for tasting will include Gold Outstanding winners from Penfolds, House of Arras, Tasmanian winery Josef Chromy and Adelaide Hills based Bird in Hand, as well as Millon Estate, Levantine Hill Estate and All Saints Estate, the latter three of which are currently seeking distribution in the UK.
Australia enjoyed a record number of gold medals in the IWSC last year, with 7% of Australian wines entered in 2017 achieving the top award, totaling 71 gold medal winners – almost twice as many as the 39 in the previous year.
Wine Australia head Laura Jewell MW said, ‘We’re very pleased to be showcasing some of Australia’s gold medal winning wines in one of our new Focus Rooms at the London Australia Day Tasting.’
‘This area will give guests a snapshot of Australia’s most celebrated and iconic wine styles, whilst highlighting the diversity of Australian wine through a mix of regions, varieties and winemaking methods’, she said.
Alongside the Focus Room, there will be the opportunity to meet winemakers and winery owners, with a range of over 1000 wines to taste and various masterclasses and focus tables taking place. Visitors can expect to be fully immersed in Australian culture, with Aussie themed café Brickwood Coffee & Bread also running a pop-up throughout the day.
The London Australia Day Tasting will be held on Tuesday 23 January at B1, Southampton Row, and is the first of Wine Australia’s trade show extravaganza, with tastings also being held in Edinburgh and Dublin later this month. For more information, and to register for the free event, visit Wine Australia.
The IWSC wines that will be presented in the Gold Room are:
- House of Arras Grand Vintage 2008
- McGuigan Shortlist Semillon 2015
- Peter Lehmann Margaret Semillon 2011
- Local Vineyard Series – Lusatia Park Chardonnay 2015
- The Impressionist Chardonnay 2015
- Penfolds Bin A Chardonnay 2016
- Josef Chromy Pinot Noir 2015
- The Royal Million Estate GSM 2014
- WOODSTOCK ‘The Stocks’ Single Vineyard Shiraz 2014
- Levantine Hill Estate Syrah 2014
- Nest Egg Shiraz 2014
- Oracle Shiraz 2013
- Peter Lehmann The Barossan Shiraz 2015
- Orphan Bank Shiraz 2015
- Casella 1919 Shiraz 2013
- Wolf Blass Estates of the Barossa Moculta Shiraz 2012
- Ulupna Royal Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
- William Randell Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Reserve Riverina Botrytis Semillon 2015
- All Saints Estate Grand Rutherglen Muscat NV