THE SOMMELIER PRIZE: ENTER NOW
A prestigious prize focused on Tuscany will be awarded to a talented sommelier or on-trade buyer. The prize will be donated by Marchesi Frescobaldi and administered by the IWSC and Hallgarten.
The International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) is delighted to announce The Sommelier Prize 2018, a prestigious new prize proudly sponsored by Marchesi Frescobaldi.
The Sommelier Prize will be awarded to a talented UK-based sommelier or on-trade buyer with a demonstrable interest in, and love of the wines of Tuscany. It will include a three-day tour of the six estates of Marchesi Frescobaldi, tasting, meeting the winemakers and members of the Frescobaldi team.
The trip will also include a visit to the island of Gorgona (pictured) to explore the story of Frescobaldi’s Gorgona initiative, where Italian prisoners are employed in the vineyard and winery.
The winner will also be expected to lead tastings of Frescobaldi wines at a major international wine fair in association with Hallgarten and the IWSC. They will enjoy ongoing support from the IWSC and Hallgarten on the promotion of Frescobaldi wines, as well as the opportunity to become a panellist at the IWSC 2019.
To enter the competition, entrants are invited to send a wine list that they have created and currently control, accompanied by a 200-word essay titled “Why I love Tuscany”.
The entrants will be judged on a number of key criteria:
- Immersion into and interest in Italian wines
- An understanding of the wines of Tuscany and a demonstrable attempt to create a wine list or buying list of wines that champion the wines of Tuscany
- An interest in expanding their education and knowledge of the wines of Tuscany
Entries are open March – July 2018, and the winner of The Sommelier Prize 2018 will be announced at the IWSC Awards Banquet on 14 November 2018.
HOW TO ENTER
To apply for The Sommelier Prize 2018, entrants should send a wine list that they have created and currently control, and a 200-word essay titled “Why I love Tuscany” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The competition will be open until 20 July 2018, and the winner will be announced at the IWSC Awards Banquet on 14 November. Please note that the competition is only open to UK-based sommeliers and on-trade buyers.
- “It's one of the most prestigious awards that we've ever won and we're the first English winery to have ever won this award so we're shocked, stunned but absolutely delighted.”Tamara RobertsCEO, Ridgeview Wine Estate
- “The IWSC is something that I've worked around and respected for a long time, so it's a real privilege to see the IWSC recognising what we do.”Tom SandhamCo-founder, Thinking Drinkers
- “Vivino is one of the biggest innovators in the current wine industry, and the IWSC is a prestigious wine awards, so it felt like a natural fit that we should award wineries that go above and beyond.”Paul JonesUK Country Manager, Vivino