Trophy shortlists reveal ‘Oscar nominees’ of the wine and spirits industries
The ‘Oscar nominees’ of the wine and spirits industries were unveiled last week, as the final shortlists for some of the IWSC’s highest accolades were released: the Wine and Spirit Producer Awards, which recognise the best wineries and distilleries in the world.
In our 50th year, the IWSC Wine Producer Awards have been revamped and reduced in number to give each trophy greater gravitas and presence in the awards line-up, thus making each trophy even more prestigious.
In previous years, these awards were categorised by country, with sixteen trophies including Australian, Canadian, French and Canadian Wine Producer of the Year. This year, however, there will be only five Wine Producer trophies, recognising the world’s best producers of red, white, fortified, sparkling, and sweet wine.
This change reflects the IWSC’s positioning as a truly international competition; rather than judging producers alongside their peers, these new categories recognise the best of the best across the entire world.
“Producer trophies are the pinnacle of achievement”, said IWSC head of tastings Pip Mortimer. “They reward the overall portfolio, ethos and achievement of companies that enter the competition.”
The winner of each award will be announced at the IWSC Annual Awards Banquet on 28 November at the historic Guildhall in the City of London, before 500 guests from the international wine and spirits industries.
Wine Producer shortlists
- Fortified Wine Producer 2019: Bodegas Fundador; Vallegre Vinhos Do Porto SA; Morris Wines
- Red Wine Producer 2019: Cederberg Private Cellars; JM Cazes Selection; Ningxia Helanshan Manor Wine Co. Ltd; Shottesbrooke Vineyards
- Sparkling Wine Producer 2019: Champagne Veuve Clicquot; Champagne Lombard; ColeselSpumanti; Graham Beck
- Sweet Wine Producer 2019: Weingut Horst Sauer; Estate I & M Argyros O.E; Domaine Le Freud; Reif Estate Winery
- White Wine Producer 2019: Weingut Rabl Ltd; Stellenrust Wines; De Grendel Wines; Hombo Shuzo Co Ltd.
Spirit Producer shortlists
- Brandy Producer 2019: ABK6 – Cognac SNC du Maine Drilhon; Bodegas Fundador; Chateau du Tariquet SCV; Distell Limited
- International Gin Producer 2019 – sponsored by The Gin Guild: Kangaroo Island Distillery; Bimmerle KG; K.K. Number One Drinks (The Kyoto Distillery); Four Pillars Distillery
- Liqueur Producer 2019: Distillerie Merlet & Gils; Casoni Fabbricazione Liquori; Ditta Bortolo Nardini Spa
- Rum Producer 2019: R L Seale & Company; Worthy Park Estate; Trois Rivieres; ATOM Brands
- Scotch Whisky Producer 2019: Beam Suntory; John Dewar & Sons; The Glenmorangie Company; Whyte & Mackay; William Grant & Sons Distillers
- UK Gin Producer 2019 – sponsored by The Gin Guild: Masons Yorkshire Gin; Ian Macleod Distillers; ATOM Brands; Warners Distillery
- Vodka Producer 2019: Zubrowka; Omsons Marketing Private Limited; Lignell & Piispanen; Manufacturing Company Syabry LLC
- Worldwide Whiskey Producer 2019: Buffalo Trace Distillery; Kavalan Distillery; Irish Distillers; The Welsh Whisky Company