Vivino to sponsor new IWSC trophy championing winery innovation
- Winery Innovator of the Year will be awarded to a winery that uses innovative techniques to ensure more people have access to amazing wines
- Vivino, the online wine marketplace, has more than 31m users
Vivino, the world’s largest online wine community and marketplace, is sponsoring a new trophy for this year’s IWSC.
Winery Innovator of the Year will be awarded to the winery that has done the most to get better wines to more people via innovative techniques in production, distribution, marketing, or business model innovations.
The award is open to all wineries via a nomination process, and it is not necessary to enter wines to be judged in the main IWSC competition. The Trophy will be presented to the winner at the IWSC Awards Banquet on 14 November.
Vivino is powered by more than 31 million wine drinkers who engage with two million wines every single day, who use Vivino to discover and purchase products based on their individual purchase behaviour and community recommendations. Vivino’s mission is to expand the horizons of wine drinkers around the world by providing them with access to information about the wines they’re curious about and the wines they’re yet to discover.
“We are thrilled to be partnering with the IWSC to award this important achievement to one outstanding producer. Vivino is always looking for ways to innovate and to bring incredible wines to more people and we applaud producers who are also doing the same,” said Heini Zachariassen, founder of Vivino.
IWSC General Manager Adam Lechmere said “I am absolutely delighted that we are working so closely with Vivino, one of the most dynamic and exciting wine communities and technologies in the world.
“Just look at the figures: 9.5m wines, over 200,000 wineries, 96m ratings, and - most important of all – 31m users, who will now be able to assess their wines on the basis of an IWSC medal.
“Vivino is so popular because it’s so simple: it allows wine lovers of whatever level of expertise to find great wines and to share those finds. The IWSC’s mission is to recognise and reward the very best in wine and spirits – and what better way to do that than to put them in front of tens of millions of wine lovers?”
Read the full press release here.
French Wine Discoveries
London, UKAdd to Calendar
Flavours of New Zealand 2019
Etc Venues County Hall Belvedere Rd London SE1 7PBAdd to Calendar
Wine Paris 2019
Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Halls 4 and 7.1 1 Place de la Porte de Versailles 75015 Paris - FranceAdd to Calendar
Wines of Portugal Grand Tasting 2019
Lindley Hall Everton Street London SW1P 2QWAdd to Calendar
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines