Wine Importer of the Year & Spirit Distributor of the Year
The Wine and Spirit Distributor of the Year Awards has a 2 stage process. First importers will be judged on a selection of their portfolio in the competition which showcases the breadth and depth of their range (in terms of quality, price point and regions). Then, these results will be reviewed by a panel who will also take into consideration supporting materials which consider specialisms, events, education and marketing.
Supermarket of the Year
To be considered, supermarkets will be judged on the performance of their portfolio of wines and spirits in the competition and then an expert panel will review supporting materials submitted by the successful shortlisted retailers. These supporting materials will provide details of range, education, marketing & social media, events and merchandising.
Innovator of the Year
The Innovator of the Year category recognises and rewards a retailer changing the landscape of the wine and / or spirits industry. To be considered, the Innovator of the Year will be judged on the performance of their portfolio of wines and spirits in the competition and then an expert panel will review supporting materials submitted by the successful shortlisted retailers. These supporting materials will provide details of innovations, pioneering initiatives, range, marketing and merchandising.
Independent Wine & Independent Spirits Retailer of the Year
The Independent Retailers awards recognises the key role played by independent merchants in encouraging the understanding, and sales, of quality wines and spirits. Entries are judged on the quality of their range, service and display; including value added, promotional events and tastings and their digital / social presence. Entries are free, and retailers will be judged and nominated. After the votes are counted, a final shortlist will be revealed, with the judging of the final line-up taking place shortly after.
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the great international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines